Saturday, October 17, 2015

Overload of Wonder

I am on overload of wonder. Whenever I open the windows or walk outside I hear the constant roar of surf and the frequent crash of waves against granite shore. Everywhere I look there is splendor and beauty and awesome power, from numerous songbirds and brilliant lichens to Cadillac Mountain in autumn glory gilded with evening light. The stars at night are overwhelming in their number and clarity. Venus and Jupiter have shown themselves each morning, joined today by Mars and Mercury in the cloudless predawn sky. Sunrises and sunsets are brilliant and always different.

Rather than write out all that I am seeing in detail, I am going to simply post some of my sketches and photos for now. I will say, though, that this morning I was especially wonder struck, as I had the opportunity to observe, photograph, and sketch a porcupine at close range for over half an hour. I had startled him a bit earlier while he was eating rose hips when I was walking along the road, and he had gone into the woods. I had a feeling he might come back, so I found a comfortable rock to sit on and I waited. Sure enough, he returned and resumed his feasting, quite near to where I was sitting!

The words of this hymn by Isaac Watts keep coming to mind:

I Sing the Mighty Power of God

I sing the mighty pow’r of God, that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at His command, and all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food,
Who formed the creatures through the Word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where’er I turn my eye,
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.

There’s not a plant or flow’r below, but makes Thy glories known,
And clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care;
And everywhere that we can be, Thou, God, art present there.

(If you click on the sketches, you'll see a large enough image to read my notes.)



Sunrise October 16
Porcupine sketches Acadia National Park
Porcupine sketches Schoodic Peninsula
lichen on Schoodic Point granite
Schoodic Point surf
Schoodic Point sunset
Porcupine on Schoodic Loop Road

6 comments:

Corinne said...

Melissa..this is awesome..I love your starry night (early morning) painting with the swirling nighttime sky and stars. Reminds me of Van Gogh's starry night painting. You are in a lovely place to paint...I am so jealous of this opportunity you have to saturate in the beauty and reflect upon God's creation each day on the Schoodic Peninsula! Such a blessing! ♡ Enjoy every day (and night) you are there! ♡♡♡

Pat Thompson said...

Melissa, You are truly in a wonderland and you have captured the wonder of it. Mommy

Melissa Fischer said...

It really is a wonderland, Mommy! This earth is a beautiful place!

Melissa Fischer said...

Thank you so much, Corinne. It truly is a blessing to be here, and I am in awe of so much.

Twitter Success with Sarah Wilson said...

Love seeing these. They exude your joy in being there. Thank you for sharing your bliss.

Melissa Fischer said...

Thank you so much, Sarah! I am blissful, indeed. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...