Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sketching and Birding at Olana


Today the New York Plein Air Painters (NYPAP) had a paint out at Olana, the 19th century home, studio and designed landscape of Hudson River School artist Frederic Edwin Church, in memory of NYPAP founder, Ted Beardsley, so there were artists painting everywhere on the grounds.  I saw several artists I already knew and met several more whose names were familiar to me, but whom I had never met, and then others who were entirely new to me. Such an enjoyable and inspiring day!
This was my first, but definitely not my last, visit to Olana. There are paintable vistas in every direction. I decided to do a series of sketches, rather than a finished painting, since it was all new to me and I wanted to experience a variety of vistas. There were interesting birds at each spot where I sketched, so I kept my binoculars on and my eyes open.
 Here is my day is pictures (click on images to see larger image and read what birds I saw at each location):





Periodical Cicada-- the first I've seen this year; I know there will soon be many more
A big thank you to all those who organized this day's paint out. It was a wonderful day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...