Friday, June 15, 2012

Alaska: June 9

I've been doing better with my fear of heights and can now climb pretty high on a ladder, hike on some fairly high, steep slopes, or go up on our roof. Today, though, my acrophobia was tested, and I think I nearly poked holes in the bus seat by clenching it with white knuckles, as we rode the shuttle bus (a school bus) through Polychrome Pass on our trip to Eielson Visitor Center and back on the Park Road. The road is narrow, gravel, and has shoulders that slope downward and outward, with no guard rails. Here is something I found online about Polychrome Pass at Denali National Park:

Once you cross the East Fork River at Mile 44 (there is great hiking out onto the flats from here), you begin your ascent of Polychrome Pass, one of the most spectacular and sphincter-clamping sections of the road. If you’re scared of heights or become frightened at the 1,000-foot drop-offs, just do what the driver does—close your eyes. 












Caribou
Stephen on the Alpine Ridge Trail


I love the misty mountains!
Caribou
Dall sheep on a high pasture
Dall sheep on rocky ledges


Caribou are some of my favorites here
Toklat River Valley
New birds today: Rock Ptarmigan, Golden Eagle

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...