Thursday, February 26, 2009

Birds, Bituminous, and the Blues

I've had a couple of those days when nothing seems quite right, when my mind settles quickly to the lowest level, my tea seems to always be lukewarm, and the clouds aren't up in the sky but right around my soul. Not a feeling I enjoy, but one I can't easily shake sometimes.

A little while ago I heard Bituminous meowing loudly and repeatedly, so I went to see what was wrong. Nothing appeared amiss, except that my rocking chair was empty, with him sitting beside it loudly demanding that I provide a warm seat for him. Of course I obliged (with my lukewarm cup of tea), and soon he was happily ensconced, nuzzling my hand and gently licking my wrist while he purred contentedly. Ahhh... the tension slowly melted away as I felt his soft, warm tongue and body.

As I sat with Bituminous, I watched the birds on the feeder and soon couldn't resist picking up my sketchbook and pen to try to capture some of the life and variety outside my window. At least thirteen species came and went, some chasing others, some co-existing politely.

One Pine Siskin tried to claim the pile of seeds for himself, but was soon frightened off by the Blue Jays. An sad looking male Downy Woodpecker without a tail stayed eating suet for over ten minutes at a time; I hope he gains the nourishment he needs to become healthy again. I made sure not to move while he was eating, so as not to scare him off. It looks as though we have two pairs of Downies and one of Red-bellied Woodpeckers. Hopefully they'll bring their chicks in the spring.

The clouds aren't gone, but they've lifted a bit. Observing, pondering, appreciating nature is a part of who I am and want to grow into more and more. Thank you, Bituminous, for insisting I sit and watch the birds with you.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...